SCROLL PAST DIRECTIONS TO PURCHASE YOUR CABOCHON MANDRELS.
- Inspect the mandrel and wiggle the plate to check the weld. In the
unlikely event of a loose weld, do not use the mandrel and contact Zooziis.com for a replacement.
- If you can fit the mandrel inside the bead release container,
dip it, and then spin it between your hands to get extra bead release
off. Make sure it's below the level of the rim or you'll get
OR you can tap the mandrel on the edge of your bead release container
to aid in any extra coming off, leaving a smooth layer on the mandrel.
- If you can't fit the mandrel inside the container, get a
plastic spoon, and add about one spoon's worth of bead release to the
center of the mandrel, on the nub.
- Slowly twist the mandrel and use the back side of the spoon to spread the release in a circle.
- Now, turn it upside down in a trash can or other container,
and spin it. Make sure it's below the level of the rim or you'll get
splattered! OR you can tap the mandrel on the edge of your bead release container to aid in any extra coming off, leaving a smooth layer on the mandrel.
- If you have trouble keeping the bead release from cracking, you may want to try air drying instead of flame drying.You can also heat from the back of the cabochon, I find that helps dry the release without heating it so fast that it cracks. Then I heat the front just a little more before applying glass.
- Lay down the glass starting with the "nub". Make sure you have the
mandrel hot enough for the glass to stick. I get the nub red hot before
applying glass, though the disk part will not be red.
- Keep adding glass, while pushing. Be careful not to pull your glass away from the cabochon. If you want to remove the rod, use the heat to cut the glass, don't pull.
- Be careful not to lose your piece. If you don't have the glass
adhered to the mandrel it may come off if you turn it upside down.
- When finished, place the whole thing in the kiln for annealing.
- Just twist and lift off.
- There are two diamond bits designed to help clean the back and the dent left by the nub. Both are available below.